What do I believe?
The short answer would be to simply say…
- I am theologically conservative.
- I detest labels, but for the sake of brevity I am basically Reformed in my theology, but I was educated in Wesleyan/Arminian schools and I embrace a Continuationist doctrine of the Holy Spirit. That makes me theologically orthodox. I have definite theological opinions but I am also appreciative of a variety of perspectives.
- I believe the Scripture to be inerrant and hold to a dynamic/verbal theory of inspiration.
- I believe in the exclusivity of Jesus Christ. He is the ONLY way to salvation.
- I believe a Christian should love God with ALL their heart, ALL their soul, ALL their mind, and ALL their strength. This is why I affirm both intellect and experience.
- I believe the 5 “SOLAS” of the Reformation are great statements to unify around (Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Sola Christus, Sola Gratia, and Sola Deo Gloria, being translated Scripture Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, Grace Alone, and to the Glory of God Alone).
- I believe in a comprehensive Christianity in contrast to a compartmentalized faith which means that there is no arena of life which Christ’s Lordship does not impact and seek to transform.
- I believe the Church should be engaged in cultural reformation, not as a political player but rather the prophetic conscience.
- I believe Pastors are the true leaders of reformation in their communities, states, and nation which is why they fulfill the mandate of being “elders at the gates” and “watchmen on the wall”.